Happy New Year - Kalh Xronia!

I can't believe it's New Years Eve - 2016 has flown by!

2016 has been an exciting year for me as I started this blog Greeklish in the autumn and can finally share my Greek recipes, lifestyle and culture with you all. Greece is a country close to my heart and although I choose to live in London, Greece is the only place in the world where I feel totally at peace. 

In 2017, I hope to continue to share my Greek recipes, experiences and travels with you all.

New Years Day is an important day in Greece as it is the mid-point of the 12 days of Greek Christmas (Dodekaimero). The 12 days of Greek Christmas start on 25th December when Christ is born and end on January 6th, Epiphany Day when he is baptised. Also known as MY NAME DAY, which is treated as a second birthday in Greece!

The main difference between Greek and English Christmas traditions is that in Greece you open your presents on New Years Day, known as 'Saint Vasilios Day', instead of Christmas Day. 

Saint Vasilios is the Greek version of Father Christmas and he delivers his presents on Christmas Day. Being both half Greek and half English, I was lucky growing up, as both Father Christmas and Saint Vasilios visited our household, so I got to experience both traditions! Ohhh, the benefits of being a halfy!



Another tradition is the Vasilios cake, the Vasilopita in Greek. This is a sweet round cake which is cut on New Years day by the head of the family. Each member of the family is served a slice of cake but the first four slices are dedicated to Jesus, the Virgin Mary, Saint Vasilios and the family home. Then the rest are distributed in age order. There is a coin hidden inside the cake and whoever gets the slice with the coin hidden in it, is the lucky family member and is wished Good Luck for the following year!



New Years Eve is usually spent with the family and everyone has a delicious dinner together and then after midnight, friends meet and party together to celebrate the New Year. I have wonderful memories of spending New Years Eve on Samos Island, in the main town 'Vathi', with family and friends, watching the fireworks at midnight, in the middle of the harbour. 




My all time favourite Greek tradition is the importance of the pomegranate fruit. Most households in Greece will hang pomegranates in their homes as a symbol of prosperity, fertility and good luck for the new year ahead. When the clock strikes at midnight, a member of the family who is considered lucky must smash the pomegranate to welcome in the New Year and release it's positive prospects. I think this is a wonderful tradition and have fond memories of receiving pomegranates around this time of year. 

What are your traditions and plans for New Years Eve?

I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year, full of health, happiness and of course, delicious Greek food! Kalh Xronia! Bring on 2017!

Greeklish x 




2 comments

  1. Great summary of Greek traditions. I remember us buying a Vasilios cake when you were here in Vancouver, sadly it was not memorable. ..quite dry and there was no coin in it! I think we have to make our own when you come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I remember that too! When I next come we will bake a Vasilopita together and do it properly! Happy New Year!

      Delete