Fakes - warming lentil soup




Looking for inspiration for a weekday lunch that you can make on the weekend and eat throughout the week that is super healthy?

Fakes is your answer!

When I was younger, my mother would chase me around the house trying to get me to eat my weekly bowl of lentil soup (fakes soupa). Now I'd chase her across the world to have her soup on a weekly basis. So obviously, when I finally got my hands on her recipe, I just had to share it with you all as it is delicious and great for batch cooking.

I am constantly trying to think of inspirational healthy lunches that I can make on the weekend and then take in to work for the week, this recipe is the winner!

The main ingredient in fakes is lentils which are famous for their nutritional benefits. They are a great source of protein for vegetarians and are high in fiber, vitamins, iron and minerals. Lentils can help reduce the risk of heart disease, reduce cholesterol and increase your energy - just what you need during these cold winter months.

Fakes is a family favourite in Greece and is a great way to promote healthy eating for all. My recipe below makes four servings. Fakes goes perfectly with feta cheese crumbled on top and some warm crusty bread on the side.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils

4 cups water

1 finely chopped onion

2 finely chopped carrots

2 finely chopped celery stalks

1 crushed garlic

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 vegetarian stock cube

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 bay leaves

1 teaspoon oregano

Chopped parsley for garnish

Half pack of Feta cheese (crumbled)

Red wine vinegar to taste


Instructions

1. Boil the lentils for 5 minutes and then drain and set aside

2. In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and brown the onion and garlic, then add the chopped carrot, celery and stir

3. Add the fakes, add 4 cups of water and 1 tablespoon tomato paste




4. Crumble the stock cube into the soup

5. Add bay leaves and oregano, stir all together and leave to simmer for 1 hour (you may need to add some more water depending on how thick/ watery you want the soup to be)



6. Once cooked, serve into bowls, stir in some vinegar to taste (I usually add 1 tablespoon per bowl), sprinkle some feta on top, add some parsley for garnish



Kali orexi - enjoy!!









No comments